Have you ever gotten to Monday morning and you can’t really remember anything you did over the weekend? You know you did stuff but nothing really stands out to you. Have you ever arrived and the end of the year and thought, “What made this year special?” Or does it seem like the years come and the years go and life pretty much moves along at a constant and comfortable speed?
Well, I’m on a crusade to help people overcome their ruts. I never want anyone to get to the end of their life and say, “I wish I would have tried _____.” or “I regret never doing _______.”
So we are starting “National Try Something New Day” which will occur every year on September 7th. I don’t actually know how you start your own holiday but my guess is that it starts with a few people doing it and sharing the idea until eventually it gets big enough to be recognized.
This is where it begins. With us. I’m not expecting it to rival Christmas, Thanksgiving, or even Flag Day but I am hoping that it will give people a reason to get out of their rut and experience something they have never done before. Life is about experiencing the good things the world has to offer. We only fail when we stop learning and growing.
Need some ideas? Here are a few to jumpstart your thinking that I found at PathPartners.com
- Make an appointment to try a new hair color or a new hair style.
- Visit your local car dealership and test drive the sports car of your dreams.
- Schedule a hot air balloon ride for you and a special friend.
- Visit a clothing store you don’t normally go to and try on clothes that represent the new YOU!
- Buy a pair of designer jeans or fun shoes.
- Try on some bold fashion jewelry that you wouldn’t normally wear.
- Rent a kayak and spend the day on the river or local lake.
- Sign up for dance classes.
- Dine at a restaurant alone and fully enjoy the experience.
- Park your car and take a bus somewhere — just for the fun of it!
- Take the day off and walk through a botanical garden or art museum.
- Go skydiving or bungee jumping!
- Visit your local library and find a book about something that you would normally never read — biography, historical fiction, or a science book — expand your horizons!
- Start your own blog!
- Enter a story, poem, or article in a writing contest or submit it to a local magazine.
- Check out classes at a local college or community education class and sign up for something new.
- Take a “do-it-yourself” class at Lowe’s or Home Depot and learn how to lay ceramic tile, repair a leaky faucet, or give your bathroom a fresh coat of paint.
- Go someplace with a friend and sing karaoke!
- Go line dancing — or salsa, or ballroom — whatever is new, different, and sounds like fun!
- Find a local Mary Kay representative in the phone book and schedule a makeover.
- Volunteer for a day at a school for special needs children and discover the joy of working with these kids.
- Send a letter to the editor about a local issue that is important to you.
- Make a point of greeting every sales clerk, delivery person, server, receptionist, and cashier you encounter today by their name and ask how they’re doing. A smile goes a long way!
- Go fly a kite, ride a bike, go skating, or anything else you haven’t done since you were a child. Buy some crayons and color a picture of your dream. There’s nothing like big, chunky crayons to bring out the creative spirit of a child in you!
- Open a bank account and name it your “dream fund.” Set aside a little money from every pay check to use to make your dreams come true.
Remember, life is about growth and learning and that should be our constant goal. If you want to make sure this year is unlike any other, try something new! Be a part of “National Try Something New Day” with us at Successify! But don’t do it for me, do it for yourself!
I’d love to hear your comments below about what you plan on doing and then later hearing about all the new things you did. Have fun with it and invite your friends!