A young lady confidently walked around the room while leading and explaining stress management to an audience. She raised a glass of water, and everyone knew she was going to ask the ultimate question, ‘half empty or half full?’ But she fooled them all… “How heavy is this glass of water?”, she inquired with a smile.
The answers called out ranged from 8 oz. to 20 oz.
She replied, “The absolute weight doesn’t matter. It depends on how long I
hold it. If I hold it for a minute, that’s not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I’ll have an ache in my right arm. If I hold it for a day, you’ll have to call an ambulance. In each case it’s the same weight, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes.”
She continued, “And that’s the way it is with stress. If we carry our burdens all the time, sooner or later, as the burden becomes increasingly heavy, we won’t be able to carry on.”
“As with the glass of water, you have to put it down for a while and rest before holding it again. When we’re refreshed, we can carry on with the burden – holding stress longer and better each time practiced.”
Many of us have a hard time letting go of stress at the end of the day. Stress is the number one cause of insomnia. Yet research has found that almost 90% of what we “stress out” about, never happens. We worry so much about what might happen tomorrow that we forget to focus on the great things that are happening today.
So, as early in the evening as you can, put all your burdens down. Don’t carry them through the evening and into the night. If it is still a concern, you can pick them up tomorrow.
Whatever burdens you’re carrying now, put them down for a moment. Relax, pick them up later after you’ve rested. Life is too short to be carrying around extra burdens!
Go out and make it a great day!
Here are some thoughts to help you relieve some stress:
1. Accept the fact that some days you’re the pigeon, and some days you’re
2. Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
3. Always read stuff that makes you feel good.
4. Drive carefully… It’s not only cars that can be recalled by their Maker.
5. If you can’t be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.
6. If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
7. It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
8. Never buy a car you can’t push.
9. Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you won’t have a leg to stand on.
10. Nobody cares if you can’t dance well. Just get up and dance.
11. Since it’s the early worm that gets eaten by the bird, sleep late.
12. The second mouse gets the cheese.
13. When everything’s coming your way, you’re in the wrong lane.
14. Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.
15. You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.
16. Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.
17. We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colors, but they all have to live in the same box.
18. A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.
19. Have an awesome day and know that someone thought about you today.
If you like this post or want to share it with your friends, just hit the “Like” button below! Thank you!